Medallion Signature Guarantee
A medallion signature confirms your identity, signature and legal authority to transfer securities and investments.
Common reasons for needing a medallion signature guarantee include:
- Moving securities to a new account (for example transferring a 401(k) after switching jobs).
- Giving securities as a gift (such as transferring shares of stock to a child or donating them to a nonprofit).
- The owner of the securities has passed away and ownership needs to transfer to a court-appointed representative.
A medallion signature guarantee must be completed in person because it confirms your identity, signature and legal authority to transfer securities. In order to protect your assets, certain documentation is required to approve medallion requests.
Please note: A medallion signature guarantee is not the same as a document notarization which assures that a signature is genuine.
Union Bank provides medallion services free of charge for Union Bank customers who have been with us for at least 6 months by appointment only.
To make an appointment, call our Customer Care Team at 802-888-6600 or one of our local branches. Our friendly staff will have an authorized signer call to discuss the medallion signature request along with the documents required to complete the transaction and to schedule the appointment.
Some common documents needed, depending on the type of medallion signature request:
- Government-issued photo IDs for all asset owners.
- Statement for the account holding the securities.
- Copy of death certificate and court documents appointing person representative, administrator, or executor.
- Document showing evidence of trustees.
- Divorce decree or court-approved domestic relations order (DRO) settlement agreement that lists account number or name of firm and account type along with securities to be transferred.